Of Saint Sabina’s, Guns and Palin Derangement Syndrome
For those of you fortunate enough not to live in the Land of Lincoln, or, as it is commonly known today, The State Everyone Laughs At, you may have not been familiar enough with the State and therefore thought that Cardinal George’s most recent attempt to remove Father Pfleger, or as many of us refer to him as Father “Flakey”, would have caused him to mend his ways. Those of us who have followed Father Pfleger for decades, realized that this was merely the latest useless huffing and puffing of Cardinal George, and that Saint Sabina’s would soon return to normal, which is as a bastion of Left Wing political orthodoxy, with an exteme emphasis on race, where Catholicism is very much an afterthought.
This was graphically demonstrated by Father Pfleger having Gary McCarthy, Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s new top cop, preach a “sermon” during Mass earlier this month. Chicago has an atrocious murder rate. It also has the strictest gun control laws in the nation. Here are Gary McCarthy’s deep thoughts on this contradiction:
“Now I want you to connect one more dot on that chain of the African American history in this country, and tell me if I’m crazy: Federal gun laws that facilitate the flow of illegal firearms, into our urban centers across this country, that are killing our black and brown children,” he said.
And he told an anecdote of just one night with the New York Police Department. After returning home from investigating a pair of shootings, he said he flipped on the television to relax, only to find “Sarah Palin’s Alaska” being broadcast.
Gary McCarthy is a newcomer to Chicago, but he already has the Chicago political game down pat. Appeal to racial paranoia? Check. Toss in some irrelevant political red meat? Check, by his summoning up of Palin Derangement Syndrome. His laughable attempt to chalk up concern for Second Amendment rights to racism was truly perverse. Under slavery most slave states forbade slaves or freed blacks from possessing firearms, and, after the Civil War, prime goals of the white “Redeemer Governments” after Reconstruction were to impose bans on blacks, many of whom had fought in the Union army and knew how to use firearms, from possessing firearms by the use of Black Codes that effectively rendered black populations defenseless from armed violence.
You know, I do wonder what the reaction would have been if Gary McCarthy had decided to talk about the real causes of crime in inner city Chicago?
1. A soaring illegitimacy rate among blacks and hispanics that makes it almost a certainty that boys born into these groups will grow up with little if any paternal guidance, with predictable results.
2. One of the worst school systems in the country that, at immense cost to taxpayers, specializes in turning out illiterates who are unemployable.
3. Entertainment that glorifies gangster violence and vile misogynistic attitudes towards women.
4. Rampant alcoholism and drug use.
5. Little effort by the Chicago city government to effectively combat the gangs that make life in the inner city of Chicago a living hell.
6. Informal policies of the Chicago city government that effectively write off certain sections of the city in regard to serious efforts to combat crime.
7. The most corrupt city government in the country where most politicians are far more concerned with graft than carrying out the essential function of government to protect the people from violence and crime.
8. Inane gun laws that guarantee to armed criminals that most of their likely victims will be unarmed.
There was much more that Mr. McCarthy could have said that would have been truthful and would have made headlines in Chicago and around the country. Instead, he simply demonstrated that this outsider wishes to become a member in good standing of the powers that be in the Windy City. He is off to a good start in reaching that goal.