“I live in a rather special world. I only know one person who voted for Nixon. Where they are I don’t know. They’re outside my ken. But sometimes when I’m in a theater I can feel them.”
Pauline Kael, Film Critic for The New Yorker, December 28, 1972
When it comes to our politics the divisions in our country are often deplored. What really should be deplored is that one side of our politics, leftists, tend to lack the imagination to conceive how anyone could possibly in good will disagree with them.
Case in point Gail Collins’ op ed in the New York Times entitled “How Could Anyone Vote for Trump?”.
Why isn’t she leading 3 to 1? This is not a normal race between a Democrat and a Republican. One of the candidates has made it clear that he has no attention span or self-control. World security experts in both parties are terrified by the idea of a Trump presidency. He’s screwed small contractors in his business dealings and bought dumb presents for himself with money from his charitable foundation — a charitable foundation, by the way, that appears to have been managed by a team of gerbils. Also, he keeps changing his positions on critical issues and has paid settlements to people alleging he discriminated against them on the basis of race or not being attractive enough.
Go here to read the rest. Why? This really isn’t a hard question:
- Clinton is a transparent crook who throughout her adult life has monetized her political power to enhance her personal wealth.
- Clinton in her use of a personal e-mail server demonstrated that she has no concept of security and was willing to jeopardize this nation in order to hide her shady activities from public view.
- She is a leftist and will implement policies anathema to a large segment of the population.
- Her proposed economic policies will be more of the same, continuing the economic stagnation of the past eight years.
- She has demonstrated complete contempt for law and has used her political power to avoid prosecution in situations where lesser mortals would have found themselves facing felony charges.
- Her lying to the families of the Benghazi dead, literally over the bodies of their loved ones.
- Her decades long role in protecting her predator husband whose crimes include rape.
- Her backing of the Iran deal which ensures that Iran will soon have nuclear weapons.
- Her constant lying about matters great and small.
- She is obviously suffering from serious illness and she will not be honest with the American people about it.
See, that really was easy. That Ms. Collins and the readership of the New York Times, and the comments as usual are a hoot, are unable to recognize the motivations of around half their countrymen paints them as small minded and provincial, the usual qualities they project upon their adversaries. Not being able to put yourself in the shoes of those you disagree with is not only a failure of imagination, it is also dangerous in a democracy. When you cannot understand what truly motivates those who oppose you, it easy to imagine them as stick figures in a morality play and seek to punish them for having the temerity to disagree with you.