Well, a nation divided down the middle has chosen to re-elect the worst president in our nation’s history while keeping the Republicans firmly in control of the House. This ensures that no major piece of legislation will get through Congress in the next two years. So the people collectively have voted for Obama and gridlock. What lessons should be taken away from this debacle?
1. The Triumph of Identity Politics -The mainstay of Obama’s victory were groups that he assiduously courted: Blacks, Hispanics, single women and homosexuals. That Obama has been a disaster for the nation in his economic and fiscal policies, and presided over a truly lousy economy, mattered not one whit to substantial majorities of these groups.
2. Divide and Rule-Obama pursued a strategy of winning by getting his supporters to the polls and demonizing his adversaries. The strategy worked and will no doubt be copied in the years to come, as politicians seek success through division.
3. Vote for Revenge-Obama and many of his followers will no doubt assume that he has received a mandate to pursue his policies. That is a mistaken view. Through the manner of his winning, Obama has ensured that half the nation will be actively working against him and all his works until he leaves office.
4. Issues, what Issues?-The nation faces a stagnant economy, sliding back into recession, a fiscal cliff, the middle east in flames and a president who has no clue about what to about any of it. None of this mattered this election to a slight majority of Americans.
5. Government Dependence-Obama greatly expanded the ranks of those who depend upon the government for their sustenance, and a slight majority of the American people endorsed this policy.
6. Religious Freedom-Politicians will take away from this election that they can use the Catholic Church as a whipping boy and not suffer at the polls.
7. Permanent Campaign Mode-Obama has never governed as President of the United States, but rather as the head of a political faction within the country. He never left campaign mode and now that this stance has paid off for him he will never leave it.
8. Changing Country-Michael Barone, the most knowledgeable man about American politics, predicted a Romney landslide as did I. In the America in which he and I spent our lives that would have happened. Obama and his acolytes have succeeded in changing half of that America.
9. Corrupt Media-Throughout this campaign the Mainstream Media have done their best to aid Obama in his quest for re-election. Their protection of him from answering questions about the Benghazi debacle was merely the most glaring example. They have succeed in their goal, at the cost of whatever minimal trust in them that people who do not share their political views had.
10. What Next?-More division and more pretending that the problems of the country will vanish if we have more government, create more money out of thin air and studiously ignore reality. The cleanup of this mess will take decades.