President Obama was an ardent critic of the war in Iraq. Here are suggestions for arguments to be made explaining how intervention in Syria is completely different from intervention in Iraq.
1. Assad has used chemical weapons on Syrians which is a terrible crime against humanity, unlike Saddam who used chemical weapons against Iraqis which is permissible.
2. The US intervention into Syria will be a proud go it alone venture by the US, unlike Bush who mucked up the Iraqi intervention with lots of allies.
3. Obama is a Nobel Peace Prize winner, so we can trust him unlike that cowboy Bush.
4. Michele Obama is proud of this intervention.
5. John Kerry is onboard with this intervention unlike Iraq which he supported until he changed his mind.
6. National interests of the US were at stake in Iraq, while the Syrian intervention is purely altruistic.
7. We won’t be fighting against Al-Qaeda in Syria, unlike Iraq, since we will be fighting on their side.
8. Nancy Pelosi supports this intervention.
9. The Muslim Brotherhood gives a thumbs up to this intervention unlike Iraq.
10. We won’t get those large anti-war rallies this time with a Democrat in the White House.