Lawrence Charles McClarey: Requiescat In Pace

YouTube Preview Image

Larry McClarey

My beloved son, Lawrence Charles McClarey, passed away of a seizure last night.  I found him this morning at 6:15 AM when I attempted to rouse him for the “Daddy Readings” that he and I had done daily since he was a small boy.  Larry had autism, an infectious smile, and was a continual joy to all who knew him.  Once he attained puberty he began having seizures, not uncommon in autism, and I gave him seizure medication daily.  He lived for 21 years on this earth and he was the light of this world for myself and his mother, my bride.  On this dark day I am comforted by the knowledge that even now he is beholding the Beatific Vision.  He lived in love and now he will stand forever before Love Incarnate.  Please pray for the repose of his soul.  I will resume blogging sometime after Memorial Day.

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”

“Yes, Lord,” she replied, “I believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.”

133 Responses to Lawrence Charles McClarey: Requiescat In Pace

• Mike Petrik says:

Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May his soul and all the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

• Michael says:

I’m not a regular commenter, but I just wanted to add my voice to the condolences today. As a father, I can’t imagine anything more terrible. I will dedicate evening prayer to him today.

• Elaine Krewer says:

Just logged in and saw this… so sorry to hear of your loss. I, too, cannot imagine anything worse. No matter how long or how briefly your child is on this earth, it hurts to lose him. I will add him and your family to my prayers.

• Jeanne Rohl says:

So sorry for your loss. There are no words that can quiet your grief right now nor should there be. Try to rest in the arms of the Lord and know that the “angels are leading him into paradise”. Blessings and prayer for you and yours. Jeanne

• Judy says:

I am so very sorry for your loss. I pray that God will hold you and your wife in the palm of His hand these next months. Be assured of my prayers for all of you.

• Greg Mockeridge says:

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your son. God grant him eternal rest. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

• J. Christian says:

Few of us will be fortunate enough to share daily “Daddy Readings” with our children at 21. A good son. Our family will keep your family in our prayers.

• I am sorry for your loss, Donald. I shall pray for the repose of your son’s soul, and for the Holy Spirit – the Comforter who descended on the Apostles and the Blessed Virgin Mary on Pentecost Sunday so long ago – to bring comfort to you, your wife and all of your family.

• Karl says:

I am so very sorry for the grief you must be overwhelmed with. But, such a blessing he has been to you, and you have been to him and in turn to others, like yours truly.

I am driving to see most of my children this coming weekend, from here in New York to Chesapeake, Virginia and Cary, North Carolina. I will, within minutes of this post, text each of my children asking them to pray for each of the McClarey’s. On my trip I will have some alone time on the road to pray for all of you. I know it is scant comfort but, Don, you are such a good man. He was blessed, so, to have a father like you. Now, you have a son, in the presence of God, who will intercede for you.

Knowing that God asks you to bear what he knows you can and no more, draw consolation from how much He must care for you, to know, such as this, that his willing servant, Don and your wife and other children will be grateful for the blessing that Larry has been in their loves, but willing to have the faith to know that he is, now, in the best place he can be.

For me, my heart breaks for you, your wife and children and I will offer the pain from my own separation from our children, as, selfishly ,mine is only the pain of distance and the pain from my, still broken, marriage for your consolation, as God sees fit to use it.

God be with each of you.

• Don the Kiwi says:

So sorry to hear this Don. My thoughts and prayers are with you. On this day of celebrating Pentecost, I’m sure the Holy Spirit accompanied his soul to heaven.
    As Mary had to bury her son, she will have her mantle wrapped around you and Cathy and your other children – parents are not supposed to bury their children; but your boy was very special to you, and to our Eternal Father.

May his entry into the company of the angels and saints, in the presence of our loving God bring blessing on you and all who are dear to you.

• Suz says:

“Yes, Lord.” Very difficult words to say. May God bless you and your family with peace and consolation. May your beautiful boy rest in His arms.

• Paul H says:

I offer you my sincere condolences. I cannot imagine the pain of this loss. Thank you for sharing with us here, so that we who read this blog may pray with you and your family.

• Susan Varenne says:

There is a very beautiful Gaelic hymn called “Ag Criost an Siol” and I thought of it right away when I read your sad news about the death of your dear boy. Here it is, for your comfort and your consolaton:

Christ’s is the seed

From Death to the end
    Not the end but a
    rebirth,
    In the Paradise of
    Graces
    May we be.

If you want to hear this sung, and it is most beautiful, you can find it on Youtube. The three Irish priests have a lovely version of it. It always gives me a sense of God’s presence and His peace. May this Presence and Peace be with you and your wife this week while you say your difficult good-bye to your son.

• Thank you for all the kind words and prayers my friends. They help. My wife and I will be making the funeral arrangements today, and the funeral Mass for Larry will be on Thursday. He was to have graduated on Friday from High School with his sister. Larry will be remembered at the Commencement. This is a hard week for the McClarey family, but I am consoled by memories of my boy and the thought that he is in a far better place where we all pray to be one day.

• Anzlyne says:

Goodness. Christ is the victor. Your son’s autism ended early on the Lord’s Day, the Day of Pentecost.
    I pray also for your daughter at this time of her commencement, knowing that all of our lives are inextricable from our siblings and nearest family – our beloved ones who have gone before us in time, and those whose lives are yet to come.
    God is with you. May the sufferings offered by your son and your family redound to the blessing of all families in this vale of tears and joys.

• Patricia says:

Blessed repose and eternal memory for the servant of God, Lawrence. May God grant you His healing & peace at this difficult time. You & your family are in my prayers! ICXC+NIKA

• Fr. Richard McDonald says:

+Pax+

I will remember the happy repose of the soul of your son in my Mass this morning
    Now you are blessed to be a father who has a son who will intercede in loving prayer more for you than by the love which you and your bride lavished on him.

Pie Iesu Domine,
    Dona eis requiem.
    Pie Iesu Domine,
    Dona eis requiem.
    Pie Iesu Domine,
    Dona eis requiem sempiternam.

The Rev. R.J. McDonald

• Stephen Dalton says:

Don, I’m sorry to hear about the death of your son from a seizure. My mother’s oldest sister had two children who suffered from horrific epileptic seizures that basically destroyed their minds. They had to be institutionalized for their entire lives, because there was no way my aunt and uncle could take care of them at home. You were blessed in that your son could be at home, in spite of his illness. May God give you all his love and comfort in the trying days to come.

• Robert says:

Don,

My prayers are with you and your family on this sad day. I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your son. Since finding TAC some years ago I have found a home of like minded people. In someways I feel a kinship here. I tearfully ask God to bless you and family through this tough time. God Speed.

Robert

• Peter E. Dans says:

Dear Don and Catherine:
    What a shock to open your usually upbeat blog and to learn the sad news . My first reaction was to again question why bad things happen to good people. The two consolations are that you have 21 years of memories to draw upon during which he touched many lives and that he went directly to heaven where he was welcomed on the momentous feast of Pentecost.
    God Bless you and your family during the difficult days ahead. Know that many of us whom you have touched are supporting you through our prayers.
    Pete

• Steve Winkeljohn says:

Please let me add my condolences to those above. At 6:15 this morning (7:15 EST) I was just getting out of Mass where the prayers of the faithful usually include a petition for my 8 year old granddaughter who is in her 4th year of fighting neuroblastoma and has been in the pediatric ICU for 9 days. We thought we lost her last Saturday, so perhaps watching my son and daughter-in-law I begin to have a hint at your sense of loss.

The essence of our faith is the conviction that he has gone on to a better existence. I hope that you can find some comfort there.

Peace,
    Steve Winkeljohn

• Mike Jarman says:

My twin autistic sons, one who just graduated from high school this weekend and will attend college in the fall, are the glory of my life. The other suffers from seizures as did Lawrence. We live the life, Don, and you have our full understanding and sympathy. I will pray for Lawrence.

• Larry says:

Don and Catherine,

My prayers and thoughts are with you at this difficult time. As a father myself, I can only imagine the loss you are feeling.

Larry will also be in my prayers and I will mention his name at my Bible Study group. He will be in all our prayers.

• Laura says:

My prayers are with you for comfort in this time of sorrow. May Our Lady of Sorrows be with you, and may she ever so lovingly lead Lawrence into eternal beatitude with Our Lord Jesus Christ.

• I am so sorry for your loss, Donald.
    We who are blessed by God’s special children are more aware of the thin veil which separates heaven and earth. May Lawrence who is now enjoying the arms of Christ around him, intercede for you in your time of need.

• Kyle Miller says:

Just found this blog entry. I am not a crying man, but you have my eyes watering Don. My wife and I are celebrating our first child, a daughter. While we experience the joy of welcoming, Lawrence’s story is a reminder of a sadness of equal depth we must share when we say goodbye for now. I will be praying for you and your family. May all of you find peace in these times. Lawrence has. RIP my brother Lawrence.

• Steve T. says:

A candle shall be lit and a prayer said before the icon of Our Lady of Perpetual Help at Holy Innocents, a church most appropriate for your son.

• Katherine says:

I followed a link a fellow Midwest Conservative Journal reader posted there. I am so very sorry to hear this news. May God receive your son, and may you and your family be comforted with the sure promise that you will see his smile again, since he has gone before you to see God face to face.

• Thank you again my friends for your kind comments and prayers. We have made all the funeral arrangements for Larry and we have been overwhelmed by the condolences and generosity of the people of Dwight, Illinois. When I feel up to blogging after this sad week, I will have a post in remembrance of my son, whose life was a blessing from his first day to his last for me and my wife and his brother and sister.

• LisaB says:

Don and Catherine,

My condolences to you & your family. May Our Lord bless you each day with joyful memories of your beautiful son and may he rest in peace. Holy Mary, pray for us.

• Therese Z says:

A loss so complete, a child. I will hold you all in prayer, and I look forward to reading the rememberance of Larry that you said you are planning to put up. Let us get to know the personality of that friendly face in the photo.

• Sean D says:

I found the news through Chris over at TheMCJ. I am so very sorry for your loss and am praying for your son and all of you during this terrible time.

• Christine Rademacher says:

My sincere condolences on the loss of your boy. I have a great nephew who is autistic & a sister who died in her sleep from a seizure. I will remember all of you in my rosary tonight. God bless & sustain you.

• Yoshi says:

I’m very sorry for your loss. I lost my mother Saturday so I share your sorrow. Yet we all know we are going to lose our parents at some point, it is not that way with our children. I pray for you and for him and will continue to do so. Let light perpetual shine upon him, may the Holy Spirit comfort you and give you some measure of peace. In the Name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, amen.

• Matthew Newell says:

Mr. McClarey, the Church grieves and prays with you and your family. Thanks be to God for Lawrence; precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints.

• sharon says:

So sorry for your loss. His picture simply radiates love and joy. May God bless and comfort you and your family and may your son rest in peace.

• trespinos says:

“Eyes will close, but You, unsleeping,
    Watch by our side;
    Death may come: in Love’s safe keeping
    Still we abide.”

My deepest condolences to you, your wife and all family members. May Larry rest in peace, in Love’s safe keeping.

• Sara F. says:

Dear McClarey family,
    I am sending my heartfelt condolences on the loss of your precious son, Larry. I, too, am the mom of a child with autism. You will be in my prayers.
    Love in Christ from Georgia,
    Sara

• Ed the Roman says:

Saints of God, come to his aid; hasten to greet him, angels of the Lord; receive his soul, and present him to God the Most High.

• Allen Lewis says:

So sorry to hear of your loss. It is really tragic when a parent has to bury a child.

May he rest in peace; may light perpetual shine upon him.

My prayers are with you and your wife in this time of grief and sorrow.

• WK Aiken says:

My condolences. I, too, have an autistic son, and while not faced with the developments your Larry had at puberty, we do rejoice in the unique and very personal perspective on love our son brings. Autistic and Down Syndrome kids are gifts from God. We humbly count ourselves blessed that we were deemed worthy of ours. I hope you can take some comfort in how Larry brought Christ to your family during his too-short time in this world.

St. Joseph of Cupertino pray for us.

• Charles E A Johnson says:

Don,

Anglican and. Missouri Synod prayer ascending for Lawrence, may he ever rest in the bosom of God’s peace, And may you and your family find consolation in the sweet presence of the Holy Ghost. We will look forward to your remembrance

Chip Johnson+

• Pat Kelly says:

Mr. McClarey I am so sorry for your loss. May the angels guide your son Lawrence into heaven. May the Holy Spirit come upon you and your family and give you consolation in this dark hour. May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed rest in peace. Amen.

• georgeinbandon,oregon says:

God bless you and your family and give you healing and strength and may your son thru the mercy and love of God rest in His peace forever.

• Thank you my friends for your prayers and kind remarks. They have helped quite a bit in this tough time. We just went over to the funeral parlor and saw Larry’s body. The mortician had done a good job, but it was obvious that this was a mere shell. This makes it all easier for me as I accept that Larry truly is gone and his soul is in Heaven. Tomorrow is the visitation at Saint Pat’s and then the funeral mass on Thursday. My wife and kids have been towers of strength in this ordeal. I am lost in thoughts of Larry and I pray to God for the courage to accept that I will never see my son again in this vale of tears.

• philip says:

Donald.
    Lawrence has perfect sight and he smiles an endless brightness knowing that you and your family will come home…through the valley of tears to the highest mount where no tears of sadness are shed.
    Peace Donald and happiness!

• Greg McComas says:

As others have posted, “Let light perpetual shine upon him.” Lawrence is in God’s embrace, the very place that Jesus has been preparing for him.
    I’m praying for you.

• MarylandBill says:

Just saw this. No words can comfort you, but I will pray that God’s mercy will. And of course I will pray that your son is enjoying the glories of heaven this very hour.

• We just finished burying Larry. At his funeral mass I felt a strange sense of happiness sweep over me. I felt the presence of my son and realized in my heart, as I had known all along in my head, that he was in Heaven. A very rough day, but we are coming to terms with the earthly loss of him, even as we rejoice that he has reached the eternal destination we all yearn for.

• Father Wilson says:

I am so sorry for your loss. I will remember all of you at the Altar. May St Joseph comfort and console you, and help you to continue to find consolation in the promise of the Resurrection.
    -Fr Wilson

• Mary De Voe says:

The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass will be said for Lawrence Charles McClarey. Another Mass will be said for the Donald McClarey Family at the Consolata Missionaries in Somerset, New Jersey.
    May God keep you.

• Baillie says:

The shock and anguish of losing a child is something I can only imagine, but that is terror enough. The reality must be well nigh unbearable. Even faith to move mountains isn’t armor against the bitterest griefs: Jesus of Nazareth learned that at Gethsemane, and his Father had to endure His Son’s human suffering.

You have my deepest sympathies.