Few Things Are More Pathetic Than a Dumb Prosecutor

YouTube Preview Image

One of the professional requirements of being an attorney, especially an attorney engaging in litigation, is developing a tough hide when it comes to criticism.  Most of my brethren and sistren of the bar develop such hides.  Alas, some do not:

Alan M. Dershowitz’s Perspective: State Attorney Angela Corey, the prosecutor in the George Zimmerman case, recently called the Dean of Harvard Law School to complain about my criticism of some of her actions.
She was transferred to the Office of Communications and proceeded to engage in a 40-minute rant, during which she threatened to sue Harvard Law School, to try to get me disciplined by the Bar Association and to file charges against me for libel and slander.

She said that because I work for Harvard and am identified as a professor she had the right to sue Harvard.
When the communications official explained to her that I have a right to express my opinion as “a matter of academic freedom,” and that Harvard has no control over what I say, she did not seem to understand.
She persisted in her nonstop whining, claiming that she is prohibited from responding to my attacks by the rules of professional responsibility — without mentioning that she has repeatedly held her own press conferences and made public statements throughout her career.
Her beef was that I criticized her for filing a misleading affidavit that willfully omitted all information about the injuries Zimmerman had sustained during the “struggle” it described. She denied that she had any obligation to include in the affidavit truthful material that was favorable to the defense.
She insisted that she is entitled to submit what, in effect, were half truths in an affidavit of probable cause, so long as she subsequently provides the defense with exculpatory evidence.
She should go back to law school, where she will learn that it is never appropriate to submit an affidavit that contains a half truth, because a half truth is regarded by the law as a lie, and anyone who submits an affidavit swears to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
Before she submitted the probable cause affidavit, Corey was fully aware that Zimmerman had sustained serious injuries to the front and back of his head. The affidavit said that her investigators “reviewed” reports, statements and “photographs” that purportedly “detail[ed] the following.”

Go here to read the rest.  If Dershowitz’s rendition is accurate, this woman is too dumb to be prosecuting anyone.  Complaining to Harvard about Dershowitz was a completely futile act, and she would have to have known that Dershowitz, who has never been a shrinking violet, would publish to the world her attempt to silence him.  This just goes to prove the truth of that old sage maxim:  beauty is fleeting, but stupidity is forever.

11 Responses to Few Things Are More Pathetic Than a Dumb Prosecutor

• Valentin says:

This case makes me angry because people have no sympathy for the Night guard who was probably attacked by Treyvon who was roaming around at night with a hood over his head. On top of that people claim the Night guard was racist when the Night guard was a mixed man and people blame him for the attack when if he truly wanted to kill Martin right away but it is obvious that Zimmerman had blood on the back of his head, he also was the one to call the cops.

• Greg Mockeridge says:

Although I don’t think that Zimmerman is guilty of murder and i think this prosecution looks like a Nifong style witch hunt, Zimmerman’s behavior after the fact is strange to say the least.

• Art Deco says:

I get the sense that she’s another Nifong. In fact, the type of publicity surrounding this case isn’t too far from the Duke Lacrosse one.

You know, Michael Nifong was evaluated by predecessor and former supervisor as a professional of the most common-and-garden sort and this dame has been practicing law for 30 years or so. Why do I get the impression that Tom McKenna is blowing smoke when he goes on about the rarity of these types?

• exNOAAman says:

Angela Corey should pay closer attention to the Duke case. After 20 Jan 2013 she will be in a precarious position for lawsuit activity against her. Perhaps she plans to resign.

• Karl says:

If this transpired as it seems, why is this prosecutor not being charged with some crime?

As regards to what transpired. If someone is beating me up, pounding my face and head into the ground and I cannot stop him otherwise; I believe even lethal force is justified.

I am tired of it being offered as justification that Zimmerman, somehow, deserved to be beaten to a pulp. How is such behavior justified by merely being followed? Even if there was some kind of verbal confrontation, how does a savage beating become justified?
    Even if epithets of some kind were exchanged, even unilaterally, it DOES NOT JUSTIFY AGGRAVATED ASSAULT or some other felonious attack!

This case needs to be thrown out. It is a travesty of justice. It is in itself, possibly, a racist attempt to scapegoat and convict the victim of an assault, based upon what evidence I have seen in print.

It is horrendous that someone died. But If I am beating someone to a pulp, the other person is entitled to self defense. If I will not stop beating them, I must be stopped, however that must occur. If the law says otherwise, the law is criminal, itself.

But the real point of this post brings me back to questioning whether laws even matter any longer in what used to be the United States of America, if this kind of legal lynching
    mentality by a prosecutor is not met by a heavy handed response from law enforcement regarding a rogue of their own, in their midst. Otherwise, this appears to be institutionalized criminal behavior within the law enforcement community.

Perhaps it is time for a special prosecutor or a civil rights inquiry, on behalf of Mr. Zimmerman, or both.

• Mike Tefft says:

For those who consider Zimmerman’s behavior ‘strange’: we can only wonder how any of us would act in his situation.
    He survived an encounter that could have been fatal. He shot another man. He has seen prominent thugs offer a bounty for his head, and the President chose to stoke the racial angle rather than encourage calm. He saw innocents terrorized out of their home because the mob mistook them for him. The system he supported through his neighborhood watch role has turned on him viciously.
    So, stress and a need for self-preservation (given that so many were acting against it) may produce decisions we would never have to face.