You May Be a Neo-Confederate If:
As faithful readers of this blog know, I am not a fan of Neo-Confederates. These are individuals who are still fighting the Civil War on behalf of the Confederacy. They are to be distinguished from those who honor the Confederates who fought an uphill gallant struggle for a cause they believed right. Here follow helpful tips on discerning who the Neo-Confederates are. If you believe most of these you are probably a Neo-Confederate:
1. You deny that the Civil War was caused by slavery in the face of statements by virtually all the civilian leaders of the secession movement and the Confederacy at the beginning of the War that secession was undertaken to protect slavery.
2. You claim that the Union was fighting because Northerners were greedy for tariffs on the South, thereby showing ignorance that at the time of the secession movement of 1860-61 tariffs were at a historic low for the Nineteenth Century, and that tariffs were a relative non-issue North and South.
3. Your favorite Civil War “historian” is Thomas Dilorenzo.
4. The first thing that comes into your mind when you hear “Abraham Lincoln” is “dictator”.
5. You are absolutely certain that the Constitution grants an explicit right to secede if it is held up to a light and has lemon juice smeared over it.
6. You are pretty certain that Lincoln was a Marxist just like Lenin or Stalin.
7. It comes as complete news to you that Lincoln was in favor of compensated emancipation to end slavery both before and during the War and that the slave holders simply were not interested.
8. You regard John C. Calhoun as a moderate on the slavery question.
9. You believe that the massive Federal government we have today is all the fault of Old Abe.
10. You have always thought that D. W. Griffith’s Birth of a Nation was a documentary.