A Call to Arms: Oral Contraception and its Insult to God

Christianity does not simply ask followers to respect life, nor does it insist they denounce the everyday sins of humanity. Truly devout living compels us to actively defend the right to life, which is our duty as the children of God.  However, the defense of life involves education and exposing disturbing signs of moral decay. Heavily responsible for these recent immoral trends, dangerous forms of unnatural contraception are an increasingly-valid threat and widely misunderstood. Although the bible asserts that children “are a blessing to be cherished and cared for when given,” these methods of pregnancy prevention challenge those words with their blatant disrespect for life, increasingly leading young adults astray.

Nevertheless, many families continually choose these “convenient” forms of contraception to control their family size. Even unmarried couples now frequently use these forms of birth control to recklessly satisfy their sexual desires. Even more troubling still are the countless young people engaging in sex freely because a variety of dangerous contraceptives apparently allow it. The use of these products isn’t just an insult to relationships or marriage, but an attack on the entire foundation of children and the family itself.

By largely relieving couples of the “threat” of pregnancy, contraceptives have legitimized premarital sex. However, when couples do view sex as an acceptable activity before marriage, they fail to live life for the glory of God. Children, for these sexually active, unmarried couples, become seen as a burden. As a result, the entire relationship is corrupted, with carnal satisfaction replacing deeper, worthy forms of connection. However, the mutual respect a relationship demands can also become secondary to the selfish gratification premarital sex provides. Without the sanctity of marriage, this disrespect can reach even greater lengths, as individuals become objectified as nothing more than sources of sexual enjoyment.

This disrespect manifests itself in society today in the form of oral contraceptives, which are an insult to both the family and children. Remarkably, these deadly forms of contraception are carelessly sanctioned everywhere, from the media to schools. They assist in the increasing sexual promiscuity of our nation and the rampant spread of disease. Despite being the most dangerous form of contraception, oral contraceptives are now the most popular as well. Unlike barrier forms of contraception, these pills are up to 99.9% effective at preventing pregnancy. In addition, they are cheap, readily available at family planning clinics, often at reduced prices, and convenient. Women need only take a pill at the same time each day to effectively eliminate the chance of pregnancy. Unfortunately, few young adults using this pill recognize the dangerous physical side effects that commonly occur.

These side effects begin with the dangerous implications hormonal methods of birth control can generate. While effective at preventing pregnancy, they falsely imply complete protection to all outcomes of casual sex, including sexually transmitted disease. Although schools frequently fulfill their minimal obligation, warning students about the dangers of this disease, the incomplete education they provide might simply prompt more confused young women to turn to this drug as a safeguard.

Alarmingly, the producers of these drugs are also accountable for these widespread misconceptions. Bayer HealthCare, the manufacturer of several popular oral contraceptives, devotes millions of dollars to advertising campaigns every year. According to this marketing, these drugs treat everything from acne to premenstrual depression. However, the FDA recently requested Bayer remove these television commercials, explaining that none of those claims have been conclusively proven and only mislead young adults further.

Despite the revelations about this drug manufacturer’s lack of integrity, the worst side effect of this drug remains the destructive physical consequences. Oral contraceptives literally disrupt a woman’s internal balance, altering hormones to make the body think it is pregnant. Although proponents of these destructive pills are quick to point to the decreased levels of estrogen in current products, many serious health problems still accompany these drugs, including cardiovascular complications. A recent Yaz lawsuit involves a woman who developed blood clots in her lungs after using this product. Because estrogen can play a role in blood coagulation and is a main ingredient, these drugs increase the risk of stroke and blood clotting.

The disrespect users of oral contraception show their body is a direct affront to God, as we are made in his image. Regardless of how users attempt to defend their decision to blatantly disregard the sanctity of life, they will never find justification in the eyes of God. Because it is the duty of all Christians to preserve life, it remains imperative to spread the truth about dangerous forms of contraception, especially birth control pills. These attacks on life represent an assault on decency and threaten to damage the moral fiber of this country until nothing pure remains and we are left with a wave of broken families, crime and rampant disease.

Contraception is not a sin because it can make women ill or lead to death. It fails to be a sin because it causes the spread of sexually transmitted disease. The use of contraception is not even a sin because it makes manufacturers of these immoral products disgustingly wealthy or tempts couples to commit adultery. Contraception is a sin because it attempts to remove God’s influence in reproduction, illustrating a desire to rule one’s own fate instead of serving The Lord. Unfortunately, the immoral sexual tendencies in modern society have gone so far that it is not only atheists and other misguided souls that must be informed of the evils of contraception. Even self-identified Catholics must be reminded of the promise they made to God which included the preservation of life, morality and reverence for all things sacred.

This is a guest post by Matt Phillips.

16 Responses to A Call to Arms: Oral Contraception and its Insult to God

• antonio caetano says:

OH, dear. We have someone else who is confident He knows what GOD thinks.
    And isn’t it coincidental, that God thinks just as he does.

I will defer to your greater knowledge of the side effects of oral contraceptives. I will assume you are correct. Therefor I agree, they should be taken off the market. But my reason is that children and an unsuspecting public seek a remedy for problems that an uncaring society and church ignore. They are victimized and those that do it commit the unloving acts.
    Allow me to point out what I see as the flaw in your reasoning. You adopt the current reasoning of the church that sex is warranted only for the purpose of creation. Therefore, contraception and same sex acts are immoral because they involve sex with the intent to avoid creation of life.
    1. The rhythm method sanctioned by the church requires, a well planned, premeditated effort to thwart pregnancy. If the state of mind is critical to sin, Rhythm is the greatest offender.
    2.Many person are born sterile or rendered so for many reasons beyond their control. Eg There is a couple of doctors (male) who were both rendered sterile by mumps in childhood. They are in a monogamous same sex marriage. No matter what they do, they can do nothing to avoid procreation. God already did that for them. Are these the fortuities upon which eternal damnation rests?
    I’m a Catholic but i don’t think God gives a hoot about sexuality except as it reflects an unloving act. Personally, I think abortion is unloving. But I haven’t “been there” and am reluctant to judge because, judging is also unloving.

• Big Tex says:

Antonio has much to learn about the “why’s” behind Church teaching. He also has much to learn about modern NFP and how it contrasts with the old rhythm method. Google is your friend.

• Paul Zummo says:

OH, dear. We have someone else who is confident He knows what GOD thinks.

Evidently we do.

So you call out Tito, who is simply re-affirming the 2,000 year history of Church teaching, for supposedly entering the mind of God, but you find your own un-biblical and anti-Catholic perspective to somehow be authoritative?

• WJ says:

“I’m a Catholic but i don’t think God gives a hoot about sexuality except as it reflects an unloving act.”

But this is just the Catholic position. When you start thinking hard about what “love” is, you eventually end up with the Catholic position on the indissociability of the unitive with procreative aspects of the sexual act that express that love within marriage. So you’re in agreement with the Church, despite your thinking that you’re not.

• c matt says:

OH, dear. We have someone else who is confident He knows what GOD thinks.
    And isn’t it coincidental, that God thinks just as he does.

FIrst of all, it’s not like I really really wish contracpetives were evil just for the sake of it. I accept Church teaching because it is the teaching, and it is not contrary to reason.

Second, are you claiming to know the mind of God? If so, why should we believe you – you are just as fallible as the next guy. If not, then how do you know this isn’t what God thinks?

You adopt the current reasoning of the church that sex is warranted only for the purpose of creation (sic).

Allow me to point out the flaw in your reasoning – this is not the Church’s teaching. The teaching (as mentioned above) is that the unitive and procreative aspects cannot be separated – more specifically, you cannot thwart the procreative aspect to engage in the unitive to the exclusion of the procreative.

Using NFP (for a grave reason) does not thwart the procreative aspect as, by its nature, periods of low fertility are part of the system, and there remains a possibility of procreation regardless. Homosexual acts, by their nature, are only ordered to the unitive – they can never be procreative, evah.

• antonio caetano says:

thank you for proving my point. I respect your opinions but they are after all, just our opinions—Not Gods.
    Jeremiah long before Jesus announced that God had written his Word in our hearts not by scribes on stone or paper. The most we can do then is to search diligently and honestly as we can, that which we call conscience.

I believe and submit to Church Dogma. As for Church Teaching, I refer to my conscience what the church writes on their stone tablets(teachings)

• c matt says:

How do you know that…………..except through words written by scribes on paper (or papyrus)? Can you channel Jeremiah directly?

• Paul Zummo says:

First of all, not to nitpick, but proper grammar and capitalization would help me take you just a bit more seriously. Just because this is a blog doesn’t mean that you can dispense with the rules.

Second, simply retorting that someone has “proved your point” isn’t really an argument. It’s an admission that you don’t really have any arguments to muster in rebuttal, so you’re now going to engage in cutesy rhetoric that make you seem like you somehow know what you’re talking about. It fools no one but yourself.

If you can’t see why these statements are in contradiction, then there’s not much more I can say in response to you.

• antonio caetano says:

I apologize for the bad grammar and poor sentence construction. I tried to jam in a response while on break. This is not offered as an excuse, just an explanation. I would be the first to complain of the same thing. Sorry.
    It wont happen again.
    in appreciation
    antonio

• T. Shaw says:

Pacem.

Here is today’s blessing/miracle direct from God Almighty through Jesus Christ in the unity of the Holy Spirit.

This evening as I (LIRR carries me home) left to pick up the wife from work at the ICU I said a little prayer for safety and acceptance of God’s Will. And, as I passed St. Ann’s RC Church said a couple prayers, hat off, as customary. When you hear a siren – an ambulance coming to the ER – you say a prayer for the person in need. The nuns and brothers taught us that.

Picked up Mother and got home safe. Glory be.

Miracle. Junior went outside. He called us to hear the front left tire pfffttting and flattening. I had run into something sharp on the road that busted the tire. But, God brought us home.

Now, the first Commandment (it is not a “shalt not”) God gives us six or seven times in Genesis is variously to His creatures and to man: “be fruitful and multiply” and “go forth and procreate.”

A man and woman in the sacramental marital conjugal act participate with God in creating new human life. Interfering with that blessing thrusts God away from us and pwerverts the commanded creative act and that is NO GOOD.

Contraceptions are sins against God, nature, and creation.

We Catholics believe in the forgiveness of sins. We are fallen and sin, and need Grace, and need to pick ourselves up and pray for Divine Assistance to not sin. Repent, confess, do penance, amend lives, do good works and glorify Almighty God.

• Marilyn Closterman says:

I am always amused (and should be angered) by the lack of female debaters when it comes to the topics of contraception and abortion. Never hear much from them. Could it be their too busy working to support kids and lazy fathers. Apparently you guys have all the time (and energy) to discuss what effects women and children but not enough time to make their lives easier. Haiti is a prime example of your “lofty” sanctified disconnect. If only you could do more to remedy the situation for the millions living and being born who this god of yours apparently doesn’t know or care that they exist.

• Lorryn says:

Lack of women? It appears you have perhaps not read many contraceptive debates…it always seems women are the most opinionated…as well we should be. Allow me, as a woman, to express my thoughts on the subject.

I am a young woman, 23 years of age, who graduated summa cum laude from a state university and was the valedictorian of her college. I am now a working professional. My husband and I were married this past June and I would not touch oral contraceptives, or any contraceptives for that matter, with a ten foot pole. Allowing something so contrary to both science and reason to separate us in our most unitive and loving of acts horrifies me. I truly pity the women who believe the lies that doctors and money hungry pharmiceutical corporations have told them- that their fertility is a disease that they must medicate themselves against. The lies of my grandmother’s generation 50 years ago must be ended.

The ability to carry a human life within your own body is woman’s most glorious gift…something men will never be able to do. I believe in a truly feminine mindset that this privilege of carrying and nurturing life within should be celebrated, not medicated.

I do not quite understand how Haiti is relevant to this topic, but it is obvious that if human beings, children, are not treated with respect and dignity at their earliest beginnings, how in the WORLD are they to be respected later in life? One logically follows the other. Teach the world to respect children, the weakest among us, and respect for their stronger adult forms will follow naturally.

Something very hurtful must have happened in your past to have such a bitter and negative view of Our Heavenly Father, whose loving heart allows His children free will and Who watches suffering that comes with our free will with much sadness. I know from past experiences that verbage can never heal the hurt and so please know that I am sincerely sorry for your pain. I will keep you most diligently in my prayers. God Love you.

• Big Tex says:

Marilyn Closterman needs to get out more and meet men like us commenting here. While I have not met any of the other gentlemen on this thread personally, I’m willing to bet that none come close to Marilyn’s caricature of men.