TAC College Rankings: Week 12
Let’s a take moment of silence to remember Tito’s Idaho Vandals. *Pause*
A week of so much potential for wonderful chaos left us with a more set picture. Although TCU is largely assuredly to be undefeated, the suddenly don’t have any great wins. Oregon St. & Baylor both lost, and Utah got embarrassed by a Notre Dame team that got whalloped by Navy. It appears that Boise, strengthened by Virginia Tech’s dominance in the ACC, will likely jump TCU if the Broncos beat #18 Nevada in two weeks. Oregon appears in good shape, as Arizona and Oregon St. don’t look as troublesome as they did a week ago, though they did have to survive a scare at Cal. Auburn gets a week off to pray that Cam Newton isn’t declared ineligible while trying to prepare themselves for a trip to Bama.
It is hard to imagine a one-loss team like LSU getting into the title unless Boise, Auburn, and Oregon all lose. Possible, but for LSU it would require Auburn to probably lose twice (or get declared ineligible) so it appears LSU’s chances are equivalent to the chances of Christ coming back in the next few weeks. LSU appears to be the only one with a chance, as the computers don’t give anyone else much love, though I suspect Ohio St. could muscle their way into the picture with a big win over Iowa.
So yes, put me on record as publicly declaring that LSU’s chances of making it to the title game are equivalent to those of the Second Coming in the next few weeks. I doubt I will have to eat crow for that statement. Now to the rankings! Only 4 people this week, as MJ was busy writing actual blog posts and Tito went to the funeral of the Idaho Vandals. This week is a momentous occasion however, as we have our first unanimous #1! All comments by me unless indicated otherwise.
- Oregon – They didn’t look so invincible against the Cal Bears (DH)
- Auburn – Auburn boosters are really glad they get to go to Atlanta; now they can just drop the check off at Cecil Newtons rather than putting the checks in the mail.
- Boise St. – Week in and out they look like the real deal, but Nevada still awaits (DH)
- TCU – Never was a win so unremarkable, and a past opponent’s loss so remarkable (DH)
- LSU – May have to worry about style points to secure getting an at-large bid to a BCS bowl.
- Wisconsin – Running up the score against hapless Indiana is so un-Big Ten Like, Michigan awaits (DH)
- Stanford – This is who Notre Dame & other elite academic schools should model themselves after (DH)
- Ohio St. (TIE w/ Stanford) – Joe Pa & Matt McGloin still don’t know what hit them in the second half (DH)
- Nebraska – The Texas loss will really hurt, as they’re probably in the title game without it. Still, taking the Big 12’s last title with it to the Big 10 will be a nice consolation prize.
- Oklahoma St. – Even if everyone is doing it, it’s still a lot of fun to mess with Texas
- Michigan St. – Turned from hating Iowa to becoming their biggest fans in the course of 3 hours.
- Alabama – Rebounded nicely against Miss. St. to reestablish themselves as a huge threat to Auburn.
- Arkansas – Got a scare from UTEP, but will have to win out to recover a season that started off with high expectations
- Virginia Tech – With the division all but wrapped up, is playing more for Boise than themselves.
- Oklahoma – With all their problems, can still win the division if they win out (assuming Okie lite drops behind them)
- South Carolina – Not only did they win, they beat Florida down in the Swamp in a must-win game for the Gators. Very impressive. Now they get a chance to upset the WarPlainsTigerEagleMen for a berth in the Sugar Bowl
- Missouri – A win over Kansas St. was helped by the Wildcats’ fumble at the goal-line. They should be set for #2 in the North
- Texas A&M – a late season surge may be too late for the Big 12, but preventing Texas from going to a bowl would be more valuable
- Nevada – They’ll get their moment against Boise St.
- Iowa – Northwestern is underrated, but the luster got taken off their match against Ohio St.
- Mississippi St. – Wasn’t a pretty loss, but no shame in it. Miss. St. just isn’t in the elite of the SEC, but they’ve established themselves as a very solid team.
- USC – I’ve been hating on this team for a while, but solid performance against Stanford and the win v. Arizona makes you wonder what would have happened if USC hadn’t been sanctioned this year. Bad news for Notre Dame
- Arizona – Not the best way to prove yourself before the big game
- Northwestern – Does Pat Fitzgearld have the Wildcats poised to be the future Stanford? (DH)
- Miami (FL) – An outside chance at the ACC isn’t much, but they’d still love to knock VT down a peg.
Others receiving votes: Utah, North Illinois, Maryland