TAC College Football Rankings: Week 2
Last week we debuted our fearless college rankings here at TAC. This week saw chaos in the middle and back as our #11, 12, 16, 17, 20, 21, 22, and 24 teams all lost. Some of the chaos is surely due to this man:
The first lesson we need to learn is that if we keep ignoring the Federalist Papers, Madison will strike down our football teams. The other lesson is that it’s great to not be an ACC fan.
This week the rankings take on two new additions: our own Dave Hartline and Evangelical Catholicism’s M.J. Andrew. If you’re a Catholic blogger, and you’re interested in writing rankings, shoot me an email at michaelrdenton”at” gmail. com. Let’s see those rankings now, shall we?
Comments are, once again, either mine or Jay’s (denoted w/ an M for mine, and J for Jay’s)
- Alabama (5) - After they beat (to put it gently) Penn St., to get to #1, other teams need to kee this in mind-to be the man, you gotta beat the man. WOOO!!!! (Yes, I did just reference Ric Flair on a Catholic blog. sue me. -M) (LAST WEEK: #1)
- Ohio State – “An impressive Ohio State win over Miami that should have been a blowout was marred by horrific special teams, as the Hurricanes scored on the Buckeyes on 2 kick returns for TDs. Of the 4 touchdowns given up by Ohio State this year, 3 of them have come on special teams, with the Buckeyes stellar defense only giving up 1 TD. They better figure this problem out quickly before it REALLY comes back and haunts them. (J) LAST WEEK: #3
- Boise State – Last week we wondered if they could leapfrog. Now I wonder if they can finish in the Top 5. They’re hurt not only by VT’s fall, but the rest of the ACC. Simply put, even if VT can rebound and win the ACC, the ACC itself looks only better than the Big East at this point. The ACC, and Boise’s sole hope to a title game, are only downhill from here. I think Boise will need other teams to lose twice to have a chance at rebounding-though this happened in 07. (M) LAST WEEK: #2
- TCU – TCU jumps over Texas because they just look like a more complete team.(J) LAST WEEK: #4
- Oregon – 48 points at Tenn. is pretty good, even in a down cycle for the Vols. In the PAC-10, that offense will just keep rolling. (M) LAST WEEK: #5
- Nebraska (1) – A quality win over Tito’s Idaho Vandals gets them another #1 vote from Tito. LAST WEEK: #6
- Oklahoma – Oklahoma slaughters Florida State. But since the Seminoles are also-rans in the ACC, so what?(J) LAST WEEK: #8
- Texas – struggling against Wyoming is not impressive, esp. when Nebraska and Oklahoma are putting on clinics.(M) LAST WEEK: #7
- Iowa – Looking strong and ready to challenge the Buckeyes for the Big 10 crown.(J) LAST WEEK: #9
- Florida – Another weak performance by the Gators, in which, once again, the final score does not reflect the level of play in the game, drops them a couple of spots from last week. Where would this team be without RB Jeff Demps? 0-2, that’s where.(J) LAST WEEK: #10
- LSU – There’s a QB controversy in Baton Rouge, but one wonders how much it matters. If LSU can run like it did in the 4th against Vandy, and the defense keeps shutting teams down completely, then LSU’s offense (QB included) doesn’t have to be amazing. They just have to eat up enough clock to give the D some rest. (M) LAST WEEK: #14
- Utah (TIE w/ LSU) – Utah just keeps winning. Especially at home.(J) LAST WEEK: #15
- Wisconsin – Watch out, Buckeyes and Hawkeyes!(J) LAST WEEK: #13
- Arkansas – I’m tempted to sell them. The offense was supposed to be amazing, but great offenses don’t struggle against ULM. What happens when they face Bama’s D? (M) LAST WEEK: #19
- Stanford – Stanford shuts out UCLA on the road. If things don’t work out as well for Rich Rod at Michigan as they currently appear to be doing, Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh may be heading to Ann Arbor next season.(J) LAST WEEK: #NR
- South Carolina – absolutely shut Georgia down and now look to battle Florida for the SEC East crown.(M) LAST WEEK: #NR
- USC – A close shave over my underdog Virginia Cavaliers. The Trojans just don’t look all that daunting right now.(J) LAST WEEK: #18
- Auburn – hard fought win against Mississippi St, but should it have been that close?(M) LAST WEEK: #NR
- Miami (FL) – I give no credit to Miami for not being on the receiving end of a blowout. But for the Buckeye’s horrific special teams play, Miami would not have even been in the game.(J) LAST WEEK: #11
- Michigan-They have the leading Heisman candidate at QB, but at some point you have to bet a defense is going to be able to handle just one guy. If Michigan is going to contend they’ll need a little diversity to keep the better Ds they’ll face honest.
- California – Not sure about the quality of their opponents, but the Golden Bears have outscored them 105-10. That’s pretty impressive.(J) LAST WEEK: #NR
- Arizona – just taking care of business so far, but PAC-10 pride can be restored with an upset against Iowa this week (M) LAST WEEK: #23
- West Virginia – They needed overtime to beat Marshall. Either that blowout win over Marshall by Ohio State looks even better, or I’m just being generous by putting the Mountaineers in the top 25.(j) LAST WEEK: #NR
- Penn State (TIE w/ WVU) – What happens when a Big 10 team faces an SEC team on a field that doesn’t fly to pieces? The crowd chants “S-E-C! S-E-C! S-E-C!” and Penn St. served up this truth once again. (M)LAST WEEK: #21
- Fresno State – They did beat an BCS team in Cincy last week, and with the chaos served up this week, why not? (M) LAST WEEK: #24
Others receiving votes: Air Force, Arizona St., Nevada, Houston, Texas A&M, San Diego State, Idaho, Notre Dame, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Missouri, BYU, Oregon State, Clemson, and Virginia.
is not acceptable under any circumstances. There are mounds in the middle of the “field.” While fields don’t have to be dry and they can be muddy, it’s simply disgraceful for the field to be in the above condition (caused by the fact that they laid sod too late, therefore it never took root, and there was a game on the same field 3 days before). If you play on a team accustomed to playing on actual fields that are flat and have grass that don’t come up like peeled bananas, then you have a right to complain.