Tuesday, August 31, AD 2010
A roundup of recent political news:
1. GOP Takes Unprecedented Lead On Gallup Generic Congressional Ballot– Gallup has been running the generic Congressional ballot since 1942. Yesterday it showed Republicans ahead by 10 points.
The Republican leads of 6, 7, and 10 points this month are all higher than any previous midterm Republican advantage in Gallup’s history of tracking the generic ballot, which dates to 1942. Prior to this year, the highest such gap was five points, measured in June 2002 and July 1994. Elections in both of these years resulted in significant Republican gains in House seats.
2. The Senate Is In Play– Albert Hunt is a political reporter who has been around forever. He is also a political liberal. That made his column yesterday especially interesting:
Forget conventional wisdom: Republicans have a real shot at taking control of the Senate, as well as the House, in the U.S. midterm elections.
Go here to read the entire column. I of course have been predicting since last December that the GOP would take both the House and the Senate.
3. Libertarians Say No-Lisa Murkowski has been sending out feelers to the Alaskan Libertarian Party to run on their ticket as a third party candidate in the Fall, if, as looks likely, she loses to Joe Miller after the absentee ballots are counted. Yesterday the Executive Commitee of the Alaskan Libertarian Party voted 5-0 against having Murkowski as their standard bearer.
4. Democrat Running Anti-Obama and Pelosi Ad-You know how bad it is for Democrats this year when Democrat incumbents in Congress begin touting their independence from Obama. Joe Donnelley of Indiana has been a reliable vote for Obama in the House, but now that he is up for re-election he is touting that he is an independent Democrat.
He has run other recent ads in which he has touted votes against Pelosi’s agenda. We’ll see how gullible the voters are in his district in the fall.
5. Isn’t It Early?-I can barely believe it, but one candidate has already announced for 2012. Well, I guess the Mayans are predicting that the stars will be right for him.