The Shroud of Turin will be available to the public for viewing come April 10 of this year. This will be the first time in about decade since the Shroud has been on display.
Breaking news emanating from the Vatican today concerning the missing years of the Shroud of Turin. It seems that the Knights Templar, after the sacking of Constantinople in A.D. 1204, held the Shroud of Turin until the dissolution of the order by Pope Clement V in A.D. 1307.
Dr. Barbara Frale, a researcher in the Vatican Secret Archives, wrote in the Vatican newspaper, L’Osservatore Romano:
However her study of the trial of the Knights Templar had brought to light a document in which Arnaut Sabbatier, a young Frenchman who entered the order in 1287, testified that as part of his initiation he was taken to “a secret place to which only the brothers of the Temple had access”. There he was shown “a long linen cloth on which was impressed the figure of a man” and instructed to venerate the image by kissing its feet three times.