Well it is that time of the year again for me to review predictions that I made last year and eat a little crow in the process:
1. Elections 2014-The Republicans will gain 10-15 seats in the House and the GOP will take the Senate with at least a two seat advantage.
Correct! The Republicans gained 13 seats in the House and have a 54-46 advantage in the Senate.
2. Our fowl President-Obama’s lame duck status will be confirmed time and time again next year, with even Democrats in Congress considering him to be a spent force.
Correct! Even liberal Democrats like Senator Chuck Schumer (D.NY) are beginning to attack Obama on his focus on ObamaCare for example.
3. ObamaCare Code Blue-ObamaCare will become an ever increasing debacle. Legislation will be passed by June to largely gut ObamaCare which the President will veto. The Republicans will be able to win an override vote in the House, but fail to do so in the Senate.
Nope. No such legislation was passed, but the most onerous features of ObamaCare have yet to be implemented due to the Obama administration unilaterally postponing them. Wait until the employer mandate kicks in during 2015 for the feathers to truly hit the fan.
4. Asia War-A high possibility of a naval or air clash between Japan and China. I doubt if it would spiral out of control, but the old power relationships that maintained the peace since World War II are weakening around the globe, especially in Asia.
Nope, although the situation remains dicey.
5. Pope Francis and the Left-The bloom will be off the rose on the love affair that the left has with the Pontiff next year. It will increasingly dawn on them that the Pope has no power over economies and that on social issues the teaching of the Church will not change.
Mixed. I see fewer paeans to Pope Francis on non-Catholic leftist sites, but Catholic leftist sites are still in seventh heaven over having a pope they perceive as on their side.