Well the end of the year brings two annual events at TAC. I make predictions about the coming year and I eat crow over my predictions made the prior year. Here beginneth the crow eating post:
1. No new gun control legislation-Whenever either party wins a presidential victory for a second term, they begin feeling their oats and tend to overestimate both their popularity and their power. The Democrats are in that condition now, and I predict that the beginning of the path to what I anticipate will be a bad election year for Democrats in 2014 will be a bitter, and failed, attempt to pass new gun control legislation.
Absolutely 100 percent correct! I love starting with a correct prediction!
2. Recession-The Economy will slip back into a recession with the unemployment rate rising above nine percent by the end of the year.
Nope. The economy is marginally better than a year ago, although still sluggish. The official unemployment rate is 7% which, considering the drop of labor participation due to discouraged workers giving up on finding employment, is rather deceptive.
3. Kerry seat-John Kerry will be confirmed as Secretary of State, God help us, and Scott Brown, the pinch hitter of the Senate, will win the special election for his seat in icy blue Massachusetts.
Nope. Brown decided not to run and the Dems retained the seat.
4. Virginia and New Jersey-The Republicans will retain the governorships in both New Jersey and Virginia.
Half right. I suspect that if the Virginia election had been held a week later as the dimensions of the ObamaCare debacle became clearer, the prediction would have been entirely correct.
5. Contraceptive Mandate-The contraceptive mandate will be ruled to be unconstituional on First Amendment religious freedom grounds. Go here to the Becket Fund, which has been waging the court fights across the country in regard to the mandate, for the decision of the DC Circuit Court of Appeals which begins setting the ground for ultimate Supreme Court review in 2014.