The Rome Reports TV News Agency is saying that the seers may appear before the Vatican where they will need to answer certain questions that they have refused to reveal to others.
This has been a long time coming and should be comprehensive and decisive.
It has been said that the late Pope John Paul II wanted to believe in the Marian apparitions while Pope Benedict has withheld judgment with reservation. We know Pope Benedict has visited Medjugorje incognito in the past.
Medjugorje has been controversial from the very beginning and it will be interesting to see what the CDF has to say.
The alleged Marian apparitions at Medjugorje have had a sordid history. Much of it to some extent successfully glossed over or reinterpreted by the Franciscans that run the parish at Medjugorje. A document was put out by Bishop Ratko Peric, the ordinary of the Diocese of Mostar-Duvno that encompasses Medjugorje, which was translated by Richard Chonak of the Catholic Light blog, that put to record of what actually occurred in Medjugorje and how the alleged apparitions were fabricated and manipulated by dissident priests such as Tomislav Vlasic and Slavko Barbaric.
I want to briefly summarize some highlights from this translated document first, which then be followed by the translated document in full.
1. Tomislav Vlasic, in collusion with his superior, undermined the authority of the bishop by relocating himself to Medjugorje without asking permission. They waited an entire year to do so.
2. Tomislav Vlasic and Slavko Barbaric, the spiritual directors of the alleged seers, did not allow the seers to report any alleged messages from the Madonna without coming to them first so they can have their stories straight.
3. A grave theological error that the alleged apparition stated that all people in Heaven have their souls and their bodies with them. I guess Tomislav Vlasic never studied the Nicene Creed.
4. Tomislav Vlasic claimed to have visited the Pope (John Paul II) when he never did.
5. The Madonna wanted Slavko Barbaric to replace Tomislav Vlasic as the spiritual director so he could document the entire episode of the visions. Slavko Barbaric passed away in AD 2000, and the alleged apparitions continue to this day… without Slavko Barbaric. Another “vision” that never came true.
There are many more, but I just highlighted the big ones that I thought were prescient. The following is the completed translation of Bishop Ratko Peric’s documentation of the many errors of the apparitions in Medjugorje:
Just as last year, when the Holy See sanctioned the Rev. Vlasic with interdict, warning him of more severe penalties if he would not obey, once again numerous comments have appeared in the mass media to proclaim the non-connection between the “Medjugorje phenomenon” and the “Vlasic case”. If in both the letter and in reference to the two more serious penalties there is an explicit reminder of the “Medjugorje phenomenon”, in which Tomislav Vlasic in involved, why is there never any connection between the one and the other? We would like to recall just that undeniable connection, from the beginning.
Salvete AC readers!
Buckle Up! Because here are today’s Top Picks in Catholicism:
1. The Reform of the Reform project continues as the Congregation for Divine Worship recommended the following:
- Voted almost unanimously in favor of a greater sacrality of the [Latin] rite.
- The recovery of the sense of Eucharistic worship.
- The recovery of the Latin language in the celebration.
- The remaking of the introductory parts of the Missal in order to put a stop to abuses, wild experimentation’s, and inappropriate creativity.
In addition they declared the reaffirmation of receiving Holy Communion on the tongue.
Pope Benedict XVI continues in correcting the abuses and misinterpretations of Vatican II with these rectifications and tweaks.
Salvete AC readers!
Buckle Up! Because here are today’s Top Picks in the Catholic world:
1. Newspapers outlets and news agencies are reporting that Pope Benedict XVI has signed off on the laicization of Father Tomislav Vlasic. Tomislav Vlasic is one of the leading priests alleging that apparitions of the Blessed Virgin Mary have been appearing continuously to six Croat seers since June 24, 1981 in the Bosnian town of Medjugorje. These apparitions are continuing to this day and has been visited by an estimated 30 million pilgrims. An estimated 40,000 messages have been conveyed to the seers by the Blessed Virgin Mary.
Officially the Vatican has not decided on the matter of these alleged apparitions of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The Vatican has recently taken over the case of reviewing these allegations from the local Bosnian diocese.
I won’t argue with the genuine conversions and sincerity of many believers that have occurred at Medjugorie. Though I have a couple doubts concerning these apparitions which I will write to in a separate posting for a later date.
2. Quote of the Day:
“We do know that at the end of time, when the great conflict between the forces of good and evil takes place, Satan will appear without the Cross, as the Great Philanthropist and Social Reformer to become the final temptation of mankind.”
— Archbishop Fulton Sheen (Life of Christ, p. 10)
Kind of sucks the wind out of your sails doesn’t it if you believe in the redistribution of wealth and all.