I always thought that Bill Clinton had preternatural political skills. During Hillary’s campaign this year his appearances tended to be lackluster and he gave off an air of frustration. Perhaps this is why:
In the waning days of the presidential campaign, Bill and Hillary Clinton had a knock-down, drag-out fight about her effort to blame FBI Director James Comey for her slump in the polls and looming danger of defeat.
‘I was with Bill in Little Rock when he had this shouting match with Hillary on the phone and she accused Comey for reviving the investigation into her use of a private email server and reversing her campaign’s momentum,’ said one of Bill Clinton’s closest advisers.
‘Bill didn’t buy the excuse that Comey would cost Hillary the election,’ said the source. ‘As far as he was concerned, all the blame belonged to [campaign manager Robby] Mook, [campaign chairman John] Podesta and Hillary because they displayed a tone-deaf attitude about the feeble economy and its impact on millions and millions of working-class voters.
‘Bill was so red in the face during his conversation with Hillary that I worried he was going to have a heart attack. He got so angry that he threw his phone off the roof of his penthouse apartment and toward the Arkansas River.’
Bill has a luxurious penthouse apartment with an outdoor garden at the Clinton Presidential Library and Museum in Little Rock.
During the campaign, Bill Clinton felt that he was ignored by Hillary’s top advisers when he urged them to make the economy the centerpiece of her campaign.
He repeatedly urged them to connect with the people who had been left behind by the revolutions in technology and globalization.
‘Bill said that constantly attacking Trump for his defects made Hillary’s staff and the media happy, but that it wasn’t a message that resonated with voters, especially in the rust belt,’ the source explained.
‘Bill always campaigned as a guy who felt your pain, but Hillary came across as someone who was pissed off at her enemy [Trump], not someone who was reaching out and trying to make life better for the white working class.’
According to the source, Bill was severely critical of Hillary’s decision to reject an invitation to address a St. Patrick’s Day event at the University of Notre Dame.
Hillary’s campaign advisers nixed the idea on the grounds that white Catholics were not the audience she needed to reach.
Go here to read the rest. The Hillary Clinton campaign was a monument to political malpractice. Here are ten simple ways to lose a presidential election. The Clinton campaign was guilty of each one of them.
- Campaign theme-Don’t have one. Clinton’s theme was the vapid Stronger Together. She might as well have been running on Apple Pie. Trump’s campaign theme of Make America Great Again, tied in with his constant assertion that nothing works in America anymore. That most people believe that something is deeply wrong with the country is borne out by the polls that constantly show most Americans believing that the country is on the wrong track.
- Ignore the Election Calendar-Americans routinely toss out the party in power after eight years. Any member of the same party running after a two term president is going to have an uphill climb and should plan accordingly.
- Despise your Adversary-Ignore his strengths and concentrate on what a loathsome character he is in your eyes.
- Campaign Lackadaisically-Clinton, perhaps due to her health, often had one or two campaign events a day. Trump would usually have four to five massive rallies all about the country.
- Identity Politics-Split the American people up into warring factions and cater to some of them. Forget that other factions will almost always deeply resent this favoritism.
- Believe the Polls-If the polls show you ahead, relax and attempt to coast to victory.
- Enthusiasm-Ignore that your adversary has lots of it on his side and you have nil. Assume that a good ground game can compensate for the fact that most of your voters view you, at best, as a typical pol.
- Economy-Pretending that the economy is good at a time when millions of workers have abandoned job searches as futile is a sure path to popularity on election day.
- Rely upon the Media-If the media is on your side relax, even if most voters view the media as unreliable. The voters were probably just joking when they began repeating the old Soviet joke: There is no truth in Pravda (Truth) and there is no news in Izvestia (News).
- Believe your own Hype-The handouts you give to the media should be accepted as Gospel Truth in campaign headquarters. Yell good news to the rafters and ignore bad news.