Is Islam Becoming The De Facto Established Religion of the United States?
The title is meant to be hyperbolic. Obviously Islam is not the official religion of this country. However, there are signs that Islam is beginning to receive a deference in this country that is denied to other faiths. Points to consider:
1. The Prophet Mohammed-Newscasts routinely bestow upon Mohammed the title of Prophet. I think I would faint if I head a member of the Mainstream media refer to Jesus Christ, the Son of God. A little thing perhaps but the Mainstream Media is usually a good barometer of liberal opinion in this country.
2. Sensitivity Training-The US military is ramping up Islamic Sensitivity Training for our troops.
3. Government Censorship-After Mona Eltahawy, journalist, activist and publicity hound, defaced an anti-Jihadist post in the New York Subway, the Metropolitan Transit Authority amended its policy on advertisements to ban those that “would incite or provoke violence.” This of course gives a heckler’s veto over advertisements. The woman behind the poster, Pamela Geller, also a publicity hound, vows a fight in the courts.
4. Obama and the Mohammed Video-President Obama has gone out of his way to denounce the Mohammed video. Other faiths are routinely mocked in this country: the Piss Christ of Andres Serrano which received an award in 1987 paid in part by the National Endowment of the Arts, an agency of the Federal government, there is a hit play running on Broadway, The Book of Mormon, which savagely denounces the Mormon faith, in 2010 the Loveland Museum in Colorado City, city owned and operated, displayed a painting, The Misadventures of Romantic Cannibals, which was a bitter attack on the Church. When Christians have complained about such insults, they have usually received a lecture on the First Amendment, told not to view it if it offends them, and, in general, told to suck it up.
5. First Amendment-Last week I wrote a post, which may be read here, in which Christopher Johnson fisked University of Chicago law professor Eric Posner’s view that the First Amendment was not an absolute bar to banning anti-Islamic statements. Last year Justice Stephen Breyer of the United States Supreme Court seemed to indicate that the burning of a Koran might be equivalent to yelling fire in a crowded theater.
6. Government Policy-There have been incidents under the current administration that have been very odd in regard to Islam. One of the odder ones was the statement by Charles Bolden, NASA Administrator, that the top priority for NASA according to President Obama was “and third, and perhaps foremost, he wanted me to find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science … and math and engineering.”
It could be argued that most of this nonsense is due to the tense situation with Islamic states abroad. Perhaps. However, additional factors come into play. One of the prime ideological components of modern-day liberalism is a belief in the utility of government to favor certain groups. Muslims are certainly in this favored category as far as most liberals are concerned. Islam is useful as a stick to wield against Christians in the ongoing culture war in this country. Anti-Israeli attitudes are fairly common on the Left in this country. All of these add up to Islam enjoying a favored status for much of the Left in this country, and where liberals wield political power this favored status is coming to the fore.