At The American Catholic we get almost daily comments submitted by anti-Catholic bigots. We routinely place them in our trash file as unworthy of the effort to respond to. However, I thought that our readers might be amused to see the typical type of rant we receive from these individuals. This one was submitted in response to my post about Eric Metaxas, a Dietrich Bonhoeffer biographer and a non-Catholic, comparing the contraceptive mandate of the Obama administration to the initial moves of Nazi Germany against the German churches in the Thirties of the last century.
If the Catholics want to get into a political battle then don’t whine. That’s Politics. Chaplains want to use their positions to push their political ideology from Rome. That not their job. Use your own time not USA;s time. For a Catholic to talk about freedom of speech and liberty with their history of killing people, persecution, and enslaving western civilized is and utter joke. Hate is what the Catholic showed to all non Catholics. Catholics want a political fight then lets fight. Significant number of priests are gay or child rapists, then your church shopped them around. This is been going on since the 1100?s. The Church’s political views against women health will alienate women. How about shinning a light on church supporting fascist counties in WW2. Germany, Italy, Spain, Argentina, and Croatia. The pope told all of their leaders they were Christ defenders. Your religion killed our ancestors civilization (Greek and Roman) and produced the Dark ages. That is the politics of pain and suffering and I will proudly fight against it.
Well, let’s examine this screed shall we?
1. Note that Catholics are not treated as individuals. Catholics are simply CATHOLICS!!!, an object of hate. Hatemongers for centuries have used this technique. Isaac and Rebeckah may differ on quite a bit, but it doesn’t matter in the eyes of an anti-Semite. They are simply Jews and collectively responsible for all the ills in the world.
2. Catholic chaplains are then accused of pushing a “political ideology” from Rome. Actually, in the fight over the contraceptive mandate, the “political ideology” being pushed is that of the Founding Fathers, as enshrined in the religious freedom section of the first amendment:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
The drafters put into the first amendment the freedoms they viewed as most essential, and freedom of religion topped the list. Our bigot’s true argument is with men named Adams, Washington, Madison, Jefferson, etc., and not with the bogeyman Catholic Church he has conjured up in his fevered imagination.
3. The historical illiteracy of the rants of anti-Catholic bigots I find particularly amusing, and the sample under examination is no exception. The bigot says that Catholics have no right to speak about freedom or liberty. He of course has never read any of the writings of Charles Carroll of Carrollton, the Catholic Founding Father, on the subject, and he is completely ignorant, which comes as little surprise, that the freedom that he enjoys today in this country is a long process brought about by the Catholic Middle Ages in Western Europe.
4. He naturally brings up the scandal of pedophile priests, not to make any substantive point in his argument, but because it is simply another club to wield against the object of his hate. His bringing up of the “1100′s” is probably due to his belief that is when celibacy began for priests. (Recall that he is bone ignorant in regard to the history of the Church.)
5. Of course we have the accusation of the Church being against “women health”. I rather doubt that our bigot correspondent is a feminist, but, as noted above, any club against Catholics will do. If a Catholic bashing administration came out in favor of cannibalism, rest assured that the drafter of this missive would soon include a slam against the Church for being opposed to the essential liberty of feasting off human flesh, just as he is now exorcised about employees of Catholic institutions being deprived of the essential liberty of someone else having to pay for their birth control or abortifacients.
6. Few anti-Catholic diatribes are complete without a display of blinding ignorance as to the history of the Church in World War 2. He might as well have indicted Winston Churchill as Hitler’s right hand man to complete the display of someone reading history writ in another frame of reality far, far removed from the one the rest of us inhabit.
7. Then we have the peroration, indicting the Church for killing the civilization of Greece and Rome, which would have shocked those monks down through the centuries who preserved the histories of those cultures which, I am sure, our friend has studiously failed to read. Ignorance on such a vast and universal scale is almost awe-inspiring.
Well, that is a typical sample of the anti-Catholic missives we normally receive, and why they normally go immediately into blessed internet oblivion.