Romney, a/k/a the Weathervane, is a lousy politician. I do not mean that in a pejorative sense but in a descriptive sense. Being a politician is a job that requires a certain set of skills and abilities. The Weathervane is giving every sign of not being very good at being a politician. Current evidence of this includes the following:
1. The Bain Mess-The Weathervane had to know that the Obama campaign would use his work at Bain Capital against him, but he seemed completely flat-flooted when Gingrich raised the issue. The responses from the Romney campaign thus far have been lacklustre.
2. Tax Returns-Did the Weathervane really think that he could go through this campaign without releasing his tax returns? Now he says that he will release his current tax return sometime in the Spring. He has also sheepishly stated that his tax rate is around 15% due to his income largely being from investments. His tax returns should have been released months ago. By now they would be an old issue and harmless to him. Instead, his stubborness about releasing the tax returns has transformed a non or minor issue into one that could hurt him badly. Idiocy.
3. Out of Touch-Talking about his speaking engagements in 2010 and early 2011 the Weathervane said that he made very little money on them. The very little money was 374K. Romney might as well hang a sign from his neck stating “out of touch rich guy”.
4. Passionless-Romney’s stiff and cold debate performances are a fair sample of the dullness that normally attends any Romney speech. I have never thought that Obama is a great orator, but he certainly is better than the dull as cold dishwater attempts by the Weathervane.
5. Cayman Islands-It came out yesterday that Romney has millions invested in investment funds sited in the Cayman Islands. The average taxpayer hears Cayman Islands and he thinks crooked tax shelters. This is probably all perfectly legal, but once again it is something that should have been disclosed months ago. Romney obviously has no one in his campaign who can tell him that when a very wealthy man is running for office he has to fully disclose everything about his finances early, or he will be subject to the death of a thousand cuts throughout the campaign through leaks and media investigations, at least if he has an R after his name.
The GOP has an excellent chance to unseat Obama. If Romney is nominated I fear that he will do his level worst to blow this opportunity.