Star Trek TNG: To Blog Where No One Has Blogged Before

(originally posted at Acts of the Apostasy)

…alternatively titled “You Really Wanna Know What I Think Of Patheos?”

17 Responses to Star Trek TNG: To Blog Where No One Has Blogged Before

• As a confirmed Trekkie, I love this, especially the “enjoying it” remark. Yup, “Catholic and enjoying it” for sure! Ha! Ha! Ha! No one is going to assimilate me with that social justice fecal matter! Load the photon torpedoes! PS, photon means light in Greek and Jesus is the light of the world.

• Elaine Krewer says:

Yes, this is funny and I sort of get Larry’s point. However I’m not so sure I agree with his implication that participation in Patheos implies endorsement of all the other religious viewpoints of all other participating bloggers including Wiccans and pagans.

If the Catholic bloggers in question maintain the character of their OWN blogs, maintain a non-syncretist attitude in which THEY proclaim Catholic teaching as the Truth, and aren’t required to tone down or avoid any critique of other faiths as a condition of participation, what is the problem? Would it be better for Patheos to have no Catholic presence at all?

By that logic a Catholic should never write a letter to the editor or opinion piece promoting, say, a pro-life or pro-traditional marriage point of view to any secular newspaper or magazine because that would imply endorsement of all the pro-abortion and pro-gay marriage letters, columns, etc. that also appear in the same paper.

• Elizabeth D says:

I dunno what I think about Patheos (I have had similar concerns but don’t necessarily think any blogger who goes there is a sellout), but that was extremely funny.

Having been involved with interreligious sites in the past with very high degree of religious indifferentism, I can see the dangers very easily. On the other hand someone mature enough in their Catholic faith to be steadfast can potentially do good there. As long as there is actual freedom to express the Catholic faith in full, it may be like St Paul going to the Areopagus (Mars Hill). Some will listen and begin to follow Jesus.

• Foxfier says:

I think part of the problem is that religious folks tend to be polite and that Catholics have a habit of being loyal; it’s not easy to upset those you blog with, so some things will go unsaid unless someone else “goes there” first. Ditto for mixed political blogs.

• Jeff Stevens says:

I cannot help but see Patheos as anything other than a blogging platform. I see no indication that Scalia, Shea, or Kandra are compromising their message after having moved there, and further see absolutely no interaction between them and anyone else they “blog with”, including one another.

I see no evidence to believe that any blogger there is influenced by any other blogger there.

I certainly cannot imagine someone like Shea being “assimilated”.

Amusing comic, though.

• Foxfier says:

I don’t know about the rest, but I know I stopped reading Scalia not too long after she switched. Nothing specific to point at, there was just something… missing. I’m helpful, ain’t I?

• Darwin says:

Ah, but you mixed stills from before and after the collar was added to the uniform in Season Three!

(Sorry, just had to establish a little geek cred of my own. Good job.)