Call-to-Action: “Apparition Of Martin Luther Worthy Of Belief”

(Cross-posted at Acts of the Apostasy)

(AoftheAP) Attendees at the Call-to-Action National Conference, held earlier this month in Milwaukee, were treated to a special announcement that brought cheers and tears of joy:  the apparition of “St.” Martin Luther, who had appeared to an Omaha woman over a period of seven years, has been designated as “worthy of belief” by the CTA Board of Directors.

Marjoram Fennel, a former catechist in the Archdiocese of Omaha, was warmly accepted by the CTA crowd, as she spoke to them about whom she calls her “special friend”.  “At first I thought I was seeing things, or going crazy,” she explained.  “But I soon discovered that we shared much in common, and his messages to me were comforting and uplifting.”

She was grateful to the Board for their pronouncement.  Fennel told the crowd about the apparition’s circumstances.

“It was 1996, shortly after Bishop Bruskewitz had declared that any Catholics in his diocese who belonged to Call-to-Action would be ex-communicated.  I was so distraught at this injustice.  I remember sitting at my kitchen table, full of fear and uncertainty.  Then, an image of a man appeared across the table from me.  It startled me!  And then the man spoke to me, told me his name, and said ‘I know what you’re going through, trust me.’  He sounded so nice.”

The visits occurred over a seven year period.  “Luther came every month.  He told me to persevere, to fight for justice and never trust the Pope.  His words were very encouraging.  He even suggested I should become a priest, and I still might.”

Fennel kept these visitations private, even from her Call-to-Action friends.  “I didn’t want them to think I was nuts,” she told the attendees.  “St. Martin asked me to write his messages down, and when the time was right, he said, I should make them public.”  Fennel felt that now was the time to publicize her private revelations.  “During his final visit, St Martin told me that a time would come when the Antichrist – that’s what he called the Pope – would change prayers and exert control over the People of God to such a degree that there would be much anger and unrest.  That would be the time to tell others about our meetings.”

That was back in 2003.  Seven years later, when the New Translation of the English Missal was released, she felt that the time had come.  “Not at first, though,” Fennel explained.  “I was still a little fearful.  But finally, about a month ago, I approached the local Call-to-Action chapter, and they immediately took my cause up to the Board of Directors.  They reviewed my journals, spoke with me over the phone, and within a week or so, they came to the decision to approve the apparitions.”

Call-to-Action intends to publish Fennel’s journal in early 2012, much to her delight.

“People need to read these messages,” she said.  And what will people get from Luther’s words?  “Two things stand out for me.  One, don’t trust the Pope.  And two, reason is the enemy of faith.”

This was not the first time CTA has reviewed a private revelation.  Back in April 2005, a purported weeping statue of Hans Kung was investigated and quickly rejected, as it was found to be the real Hans Kung really weeping.

26 Responses to Call-to-Action: “Apparition Of Martin Luther Worthy Of Belief”

• elm says:

Hell’s bells. If only the people in the pew could get this excited about priest changing the words in the Mass prayers on a regular basis. Where is the outrage in that? I’ve had pastors that refused to use the word “Father” in any prayer and would ad lib any other word he felt was not copacetic to his agenda.

Praise God people are now having to read the “real” words off a pew card.

A smaller but more pure church, please, dear Lord.

• Elaine Krewer says:

“A smaller but more pure church, please, dear Lord”

Well, praying for a “smaller” church to me is like praying to have a limb amputated or praying for your spouse to give you a divorce. It is at best a necessary evil that may have to be tolerated for the sake of saving the rest of the body, but not before all alternatives have been exhausted, and even then should be done with regret and sorrow. If upholding the teachings of the Church means that it will inevitably be smaller, then so be it, but it is hardly anything to be happy or proud about, and I would rather be praying for apostates to return to her fold.

• Elaine is correct. We are charged to make disciples of all the nations. That does not mean that we dilute the Faith in the slightest, but it does mean that we can never be content to merely have people walk away without strenuous attempts to convert them, just as we seek to bring Christ to all of humanity. Missionary zeal, as well as the safeguarding of the orthodox teachings of the Church, go hand in hand.

• RL says:

Heh, I’m wondering if Larry was penning this at the kitchen table while the Mrs. was busy prepping the T-Day turkey. “Marjoram Fennel, a former catechist…”

• G-Veg says:

I hadn’t heard of Call to Action before.

Their website must claim an exagerated number of “catholic” members. It says they have 25,000 members. My guess would be that the majority are “members” in the same way as I’m a “member” of the ASPCA: I send a check once a year and get a flyer once a month to add to the outgoing trash.

• Gabriel Austin says:

A smaller but more pious Church? Seems like a good idea. The Evangelical churches are making great inroads in formerly “Catholic” countries, preaching the hard truths of the Gospels.

• Elaine Krewer says:

“A smaller but more pious church? Seems like a good idea. The Evangelical churches are making great inroads in formerly “Catholic” countries, preaching the hard truths of the Gospels.”

If Evangelical churches are “making great inroads”, logically that means they are NOT getting smaller, they are growing, and they are growing precisely because they preach the “hard truths of the Gospels.” A smaller Church, a shrinking and divided Body of Christ is NEVER, in and of itself, a good thing. It certainly is not a good thing if it deludes those who remain into thinking of themselves as some kind of spiritual elite whose “appeal is becoming more selective” as Spinal Tap would say.

• We need to remember Romans 11:19-22:

You will say then, “Branches were broken off that I might be grafted in.” Well said. Because of unbelief they were broken off, and you stand by faith. Do not be haughty, but fear. For if God did not spare the natural branches, He may not spare you either. Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God: on those who fell, severity; but toward you, goodness, if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise you also will be cut off.

We need to also remeber Matthew 3:7-12

But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to his baptism, he said to them, “Brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Therefore bear fruits worthy of repentance, and do not think to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ For I say to you that God is able to raise up children to Abraham from these stones. And even now the ax is laid to the root of the trees. Therefore every tree which does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. His winnowing fan is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clean out His threshing floor, and gather His wheat into the barn; but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.”

In our claim to have the fullness of Truth, we Catholics would do well to recall these verses of Scripture and the responsibility that they entail. We will be held accountable.

• elm says:

In the early days of his Pontificate, Pope Benedict XVI was quoted to say that he envisioned the immediate future of the Church to be a smaller but more pure Church.

I’m not doubting the chair of Peter.

• Pinky says:

This is one of those articles that’s too believable for me to think of it as parody. I don’t mind parody, but I don’t read Acts of the Apostasy because I can never tell what I’m dealing with.

• Dennis Embo says:

I would like to have heard the response from Luther had she put the following question to him: “Dear Martin, what have you to say about the Church’s current dialogue with the Jews and Mohammedans [how they were referred in the 16th century]? Ought the Church to respect their non-Christian beliefs or rather agressively seek their conversion to the True Faith?” I suspect Luther’s answer to that question would quickly disqualify him from any further consultive efforts.

• pc says:

Pardon my past poor formation, but when she said “Luther” was sitting at her table, I was thinking “Luther: satan, father of lies….Luther or …Oh, Lucifer!!!”

Then that last sentence, especially about “reason” being the enemy of faith…”Oh, Lucifer!!!”

She should have asked his name a second time. It’s worth being SURE!

• Dan says:

“Call to Action” says this is worthy of belief. Well, that settles it then.

Now that I’ve finished yawning….it would be helpful to recall that diabolic manifestations are not uncommon and if this lady indeed did experience something it is undoubtedly of a preternatural nature. Since important dogmatic points are at play here we can be certain that such a “vision” is not from God (would that the Medjugorje-ists apply the same dogmatic standards. Even Catholics can fall for diabolic interventions, alas).

On the other hand it would seem also quite probable that this is a woebegone publicity stunt by a woman desperately in need of some attention. That cannot be ruled out.

• Larry D, this story is simply so believable. This is exactly the way in which liberal Democrat Catholics think. It doesn’t matter if they are a part of “Call to Action” or some other nit wit peace and social justice group.

• LarryD says:

enness – hah!

Marjoram’s deceased husband Basil tried to curry favor with his bishop, but alas, he died young, before his thyme. Ironically, their children, Herb and Ginger, grew up and became faithful Catholics. They found the Call-to-Action types to be a bit un-savory.