Isn’t it obvious that most of our American ancestors came over from Europe because they wanted life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness? They fled totalitarian regimes, socialist governments, and anti-Christian repression for the freedom that is afforded all Americans.
We have the best health care in the world precisely because it is not operated by the government. Private industry drives innovation, government regulation or government-run health care eliminates innovation, awards bureaucrats, and ultimately leads to marginal health care in the long run.
We are Americans, not Europeans. Yet President Obama, Congressional Democrats, and well-meaning liberals and progressives want to emulate European health care programs. What Europeans have is not necessarily right nor good.
There is a reason why most European governments have moved towards the right, Sarkozy, Merkel, and it seems Brown is going to be booted, because Europeans are not happy nor satisfied with the leftward tilt of government policies and programs.
Yes, we want health care reform. But we want responsible government with real reform. For example:
- Public health spending in the U.S. not to exceed current costs as a fraction of GDP (currently 6.6% of GDP).
- Coverage of all U.S. citizens. The definition of “coverage” could be debated, but should include catastrophic type coverage as a minimum.
- Consolidation and integration of all aspects of public health programs should be on the table, including Medicare, Medicaid, veterans’ hospitals, research and all federal health programs and policies. That is, Medicare reform should be part of the deal.
- Preservation of private choices in health care.
- Medical tort reform.
- Reduced mandates on individuals, insurers, health providers and states regarding health care policies and practices.
But to arrogantly assume that just because you won in convincing fashion an election that was determined by economic factors, not the attraction of liberal policies, well then you are seeing the consequences of this misstep.
Once President Obama, Congressional Democrats, and Liberals understand why they are in power and what mandates they were elected on, they will then realize why there is genuine revulsion towards the health care proposals being prepared.
Until that happens, I watch with astonishment as the Democrats continue to reload their guns and shoot every single remaining limb on their body.